Login

Welcome to Star Wars Locations, anonymous
Friday, July 21 2017 @ 09:34 AM PDT

Forum Index > Locations > Stories
 State of emergency declared in Tunisia
 |  Printable Version
By: aceface (offline) on Friday, January 14 2011 @ 10:37 AM PST (Read 3874 times)  
aceface

"we're mild and green ... and squeaky clean."
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Profile Email Website  

By: Admin (offline) on Friday, January 14 2011 @ 09:54 PM PST  
Admin

Yea, I just saw this on the front page of Reddit also. Tunisia has been in the news a lot in the past couple of weeks.
http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comme ... ncy_after/

Forum Admin
Admin

Los Angeles, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: aceface (offline) on Sunday, January 16 2011 @ 12:47 PM PST  
aceface

It's been a little over 10 years ago since I visited Tunisia. On my last full day, I drove from the southern half of the country back to Tunis arriving around 4pm. I spent the next 6 hours driving around trying to find a place to stay (I didn't have a reservation in advance). I finally ended up at a small 3-star hotel (paying a little more than I'd intended) in the suburb of La Marsa. Here is an image of the front entry garden at night...

[img]http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/5402585.jpg[/img]
...a magical place.

The following morning before driving out to the airport, I took a quick drive through the surrounding neighborhood to see what it looked like in the daylight. Just up the hill from my hotel was a large building complex which I assumed at the time was another 5-star hotel. Some years later, I learned that this was actually the Presidential Palace.

This morning it was the site of a gun battle between security forces for the new government and hold-outs from the old regime. news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110116/ts_nm/us_tunisia_protests

Forum Chatty
Chatty

Profile Email Website  

By: ColinK (offline) on Thursday, January 27 2011 @ 03:10 AM PST  
ColinK

The President's Palace is slap-bang in the middle of Carthage, you can't miss it if you're visiting those sites. It is also overlooked by the little town of Sidi-Bou Said (well known by its white walls and blue doors), where you can look down into the President's gardens and see his luxury yacht. Wonder what's happened to that now?

Forum Chatty
Chatty

Profile Email Website  

By: aceface (offline) on Friday, January 28 2011 @ 11:10 AM PST  
aceface

Quote by: ColinK

The President's Palace is slap-bang in the middle of Carthage, you can't miss it if you're visiting those sites. It is also overlooked by the little town of Sidi-Bou Said (well known by its white walls and blue doors), where you can look down into the President's gardens and see his luxury yacht. Wonder what's happened to that now?

According to a report that I read last week, it was the site of a bun battle between the remainder of Ben Ali's loyal guard and the current Tunisian guard. I'm assuming the report was referencing the Presidential Palace at Carthage. The one I was referring to in my post above, was actually Ali's former residence up the hill in Sidi-Bou Said. You can see both on wikimapia.

Forum Chatty
Chatty

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 09:34 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Random Image

My Account