Login

Welcome to Star Wars Locations, anonymous
Saturday, October 21 2017 @ 06:42 AM PDT

Forum Index > Locations > Stories
 California Redwoods
 |  Printable Version
By: aceface (offline) on Tuesday, December 14 2010 @ 07:24 PM PST (Read 5234 times)  
aceface

The latest Star Wars Insider (Savage Opress cover) has an article by Brandon Alinger detailing his quest to find the exact shooting locations from the ROTJ Endor scenes. The issue is on stands now.

"we're mild and green ... and squeaky clean."
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Profile Email Website  

By: Admin (offline) on Thursday, December 16 2010 @ 11:15 PM PST  
Admin

Thanks, I need to go find a copy this weekend since I don't have a subscription anymore. I've been waiting to read Brandon's article for a long time now.

Forum Admin
Admin

Los Angeles, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Admin (offline) on Friday, December 17 2010 @ 10:41 AM PST  
Admin

The details about the new issue are up on the Star Wars website now. You can even preview the digital copy of this months issue at Zinio. They only let you zoom in 3 times for the preview but Brandon's article is on 3 pages so it works out perfectly.

Forum Admin
Admin

Los Angeles, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: aceface (offline) on Saturday, December 18 2010 @ 10:35 AM PST  
aceface

Quote by: Admin

I've been waiting to read Brandon's article for a long time now.

I wasn't aware he'd written it until I happened upon it in the magazine. It was an interesting article, but I enjoyed your travelog and photos more. The photos in the magazine aren't readily recognizable as filming locations. In fact, they look like they could have been taken in just about any similar forest.

"we're mild and green ... and squeaky clean."
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Profile Email Website  

By: Admin (offline) on Saturday, December 18 2010 @ 04:37 PM PST  
Admin

Yea, the logging that was done in that area certainly ruined it for keeping it recognizable. It would still be nice to go back someday but we need to get more details about how to get there since the article doesn't go into that.

Forum Admin
Admin

Los Angeles, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Greenebow (offline) on Friday, December 31 2010 @ 08:21 AM PST  
Greenebow

I e-mailed Brandon Alinger to ask him for the GPS coordinates, though I got no reply. Using the map shown in the article and doing some Google Earth investigating it looks like the Bunker is at approximately 4154'22.95"N, 124 7'29.08"W. The locations appear to be off of Morrison Creek Road, which is about 1.5 miles south of the town of Smith River. If you look on the far left of the map on the bottom of the third page of the article, you can see where the road to the site crosses Morrison Creek. Some of the roads near the Bunker site are either too covered by the canopy or are no longer there, but the main road into the site matches up well. I've got comparison shots of the area from a Google Earth map and the article map showing the place markers.

http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i46 ... cation.jpg

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: ColinK (offline) on Sunday, January 02 2011 @ 05:06 PM PST  
ColinK

Quote by: aceface

The latest Star Wars Insider (Savage Opress cover) has an article by Brandon Alinger detailing his quest to find the exact shooting locations from the ROTJ Endor scenes. The issue is on stands now.

I got my copy just before Christmas, it was very well written without it handing out the location on a plate. I think a little legwork would be involved but the reward should be worth it - the place should be quickly found.
I did the same Google Earth vs. article comparison.

Forum Chatty
Chatty

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 06:42 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Random Image

denver39