Login

Welcome to Star Wars Locations, anonymous
Monday, August 21 2017 @ 07:12 AM PDT

Forum Index > Locations > Questions
 Tozeur sets
 |  Printable Version
By: steinninn (offline) on Sunday, February 25 2007 @ 02:57 AM PST (Read 13317 times)  
steinninn

Hi.
I was wondering. I found some images of sets that I didn´t find in Tunisia. I think they are near Tozeur and Nefta.
I know of two, the one about 13 km north from Nefta (Mos Eisley) and the one vest from Nefta (Lar's homestead).
There was one totaly ruened, I think this is that one mediagallery/album.php?aid=41&page=1
And then there's this one mediagallery/album.php?aid=45&page=1 that I didn´t find.

If anyone can help, please do.
I'm gona add some pictures to my album. Take a look at the map for Nefta and if you can add some more info for roads and stuff, that would be great for future travelers!

PS:this is Eysteinn

Forum Newbie

Profile Email Website  

By: ColinK (offline) on Thursday, March 01 2007 @ 08:04 AM PST  
ColinK

The so-called "Small Set" or Hadada-repro set is now buried beneath a sand dune - so no wonder you could not find it !
Added to that the fact that locals used bits of it for fires so it is no longer complete.
Maybe in 10 years time it will slowly emerge from the other side of the dune as the dune moves slowly forwards. I'd like to be around to see that.

The main Mos Espa set still exists and although weathered, only a few bits have collapsed and it is reasonably free of dunes. There are one or two areas where the sand is building up.

Both sets are within 500m of each other. They are located quite close to Camel Rock (another popular tourist destination) used in The English Patient and as Darth Maul's landing site. Located NNE of Nefta and NW of Tozeur near the edge of Chott el Garsa (sometimes Gafsa).

West of Nefta are the Homestead Igloo and Craters and the Dune Sea.
East of Tozeur is SW Canyon and Raiders of the Lost Ark's Tanis Excavations.

Forum Chatty
Chatty

Profile Email Website  

By: steinninn (offline) on Thursday, March 01 2007 @ 08:27 AM PST  
steinninn

Humm.
So am I right that there were four set's built around Nefta?
# 1 Where Qui-Gon Jinn, Padmé and Jar Jar walk into Mos Espa (among others)
the only one I'm sure I was at
# 2 Lar's homestead exterior.
hard to find, never got there
# 3 Anakin's podracer parking space.
I think that's the small one I found, 400-500m before I got to the "big set"
# 4 Watto's garage.
That's the one I liked at before: mediagallery/album.php?aid=41&page=1

Could you correct me if I'm wrong.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email Website  

By: steinninn (offline) on Saturday, March 03 2007 @ 09:31 AM PST  
steinninn

All I understand now. Or I think I do. For Mos Espa they only built two sets.

But I'm still not sure where Watto's garage was filmed, in the big set or in a studio. "what do you think you are, some kind of a jedi"
And the cordinents for La Grand Dune would be nice. Or a map. But not important.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email Website  

By: steinninn (offline) on Sunday, March 04 2007 @ 05:00 AM PST  
steinninn

I finaly found a map that should answere all questions
http://users.skynet.be/mark.dermul/tato ... osespa.jpg

Forum Newbie

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Jeremy () on Tuesday, March 13 2007 @ 01:35 AM PDT  
Anonymous: Jeremy

# 1 Where Qui-Gon Jinn, Padmé and Jar Jar walk into Mos Espa (among others)

This is the main Mos Espa set, located 35 km NE of Tozeur on the Chott el Gharsa.

# 2 Lar's homestead exterior.

12 km west of Nefta, on the Chott el Jerid. This one is easy to get to. Just drive out of Nefta on the road to Algeria, then when you see the small police hut (at about 8 km) on the roadside you can turn either left or right - left takes you to the edge of Chott el Jerid and then on to the Lars Homestead (exterior) location after another 4 or 5 km of offroad driving. Turning right will take you La Grande Dune, which is where the escape pod and krayt dragon skeleton were filmed during the production of ANH.

# 3 Anakin's podracer parking space.

The first time I visited it was partly collapsed, the second time I went it was mostly collapsed and what was still stanidng was partially buried under a sand dune (incidentally this is the same dune that was behind the Royal Starship's landing ramp (built onto a scaffold during Ep1 production).

# 4 Watto's garage.

If you are talking about Watto's junk shop and scrap yard this is part of the main Mos Espa set.

You've probably worked out that you pass Ank Jmel (Camel Head Rock) on the way to the Mos Espa set. And you also pass through the yardang (those funny outcrops of rock) field that Qui-Gon rode his Eopie through. The dune immediately north of these rocks is where Qui-Gon and Padme stood when they looked down on Mos Espa.

That's a good map. They copied it from my original :)

Sidi Bouhlel (aka Star Wars Canyon) is easy too. Drive out of Tozeur and take the route towards the road that crosses the Chott el Jerid. Right before you get onto the chott there is a turning to the left. Take this and drive 3 km. You'll see a dirt track heading off to the left at the 3km marker. Follow this right to the mouth of Sidi Bouhlel. You'll know when you are in the right place when you see the opening of the canyon and a small marabout up ont he cliffs to the left. You can walk up there to get to the TPM sand people sniper point, and then further on to the Mos Eisley Overlook cliff top.

Jeremy

By: steinninn (offline) on Thursday, March 15 2007 @ 04:17 AM PDT  
steinninn

Wow, that just about answeres everything. Thanks a lot. Where can I buy your book?

Forum Newbie

Profile Email Website  

By: ColinK (offline) on Tuesday, April 10 2007 @ 12:35 AM PDT  
ColinK

Jeremy's book is long out of print - you could try eBay or Amazon.

Forum Chatty
Chatty

Profile Email Website  

By: ev (offline) on Tuesday, October 02 2007 @ 06:18 AM PDT  
ev

Hi,
I’m pretty desperate, because I can’t find the book by Jeremy Beckett. :( you were talking about earlier.
Does anyone knows where to buy it? I already found the parts published at starwarslocations - but I would prefer to have the original, printed version.

I really appreciate any help in this matter!

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: Admin (offline) on Wednesday, October 03 2007 @ 11:02 PM PDT  
Admin

As Colin mentioned above, Jeremy Beckett's book is out of print. I've looked for it a couple of times but never found a copy available.

The only book I know know of in print right now for the Star Wars filming locations in Tunisia is one by Mark Dermul. You can find it here:
http://stores.lulu.be/markdermul

Forum Admin
Admin

Los Angeles, CA

Profile Email Website  

All times are PDT. The time is now 07:12 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Random Image

Original ILM - 6846 Valjean ave., Van Nuys, CA 91406