Login

Welcome to Star Wars Locations, anonymous
Thursday, March 23 2017 @ 05:06 PM PDT

Forum Index > Locations > Questions
 Trying to set up trip to Tunisia in 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: Krelman (offline) on Friday, December 04 2009 @ 08:29 PM PST (Read 12676 times)  
Krelman

Hi all - I am new to this site. I have been trying to contact Travel Agents as recommended by Mark's book but I am not getting any reply. Anyone know of a good way to start planning my trip?

Forum Junior
Junior

Santa Monica, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: aceface (offline) on Sunday, December 06 2009 @ 01:58 PM PST  
aceface

When I went in October 2000, I had to make most of the arrangements myself. My travel agent was able to book me a flight out, but not in. Instead, I took a ferry over from Trapani, Sicily (also booked by myself - the morning of - 1 hour before it left the dock).

The only other prearrangement I made was for a rental car. One of the guidebooks advised that it was less expensive and less hassle to make an online reservation from home. Even with my reservation, I still had an issue getting the car: my credit card wouldn't go through (I think the limit was reached). Fortunately I had a second that I hadn't yet used on the trip.

As for hotels, I just turned up and was never turned down. I suspect that October isn't the busiest tourist month in Tunisia.

When I make a return trip, I'll probably avoid travel agents all together and use orbitz, travelocity, or another online system instead to book my flight in and out. I'm not terribly interested in wasting a day on a ferry again.

"we're mild and green ... and squeaky clean."
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Profile Email Website  

By: Admin (offline) on Saturday, December 12 2009 @ 10:36 AM PST  
Admin

My trip in June 1999 was almost identical. The only reservations we had were for the rental car.

We took the ferry from Naples to Tunis but didn't even know the schedule and lucked out by getting to the docks and jumping on just as it was pulling away. The next ferry wasn't leaving for 4 more days. From Tunis we took a bus to Tozeur where we rented our car.

We had the same experience with the hotels. We just showed up and there was always room.

We hired a guide at the Tozeur Tourism office to help us find the locations nearby but there is enough information out there now that you should be able to find them yourselves if you feel comfortable with that. All of the other locations like Matmata and Ajim we did by ourselves.

On the way out of Tunisia we took the ferry again but only went to Sicily this time which is a lot closer and the ferry's run more frequently.

I know it's nice to know that you have everything arranged beforehand but if you decide to stay a little longer at one of your stops or decide to check out something new that you hear about once you're there it can be really difficult to reschedule everything. It can be exciting to leave your options open and let your journey lead you.

Forum Admin
Admin

Los Angeles, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: ColinK (offline) on Monday, December 14 2009 @ 05:43 PM PST  
ColinK

Hi Krelman,
Mark is running a trip in 2010 however it is already full. Where are you setting off from - let's see if we can come up with some suggestions for you.

Forum Chatty
Chatty

Profile Email Website  

By: jamesFSO1 (offline) on Tuesday, December 29 2009 @ 02:31 AM PST  
jamesFSO1

Krelman,

Im from the UK and the only arrangement I made was the flight, everything else I left to my
own planning. It was a lone trip which I had planned to do for awhile.

I landed in Monastir and rented a car from Avis (don't expect it to be sparkling new!).

I had printed out exactly what locations I wanted to go to and had got a road map of Tunisia, this
really is essential. I went in March (great time to go) and had no problems with hotels etc, etc.

My only tip is if you go to the Lars Homestead external, get a guide. I stayed at the El Salem hotel
in Tozeur and the hotel manager there organises trips. Security at the border can be very
fussy apparently as this location is near the Algeria Border.

Good Luck, it was the best trip and personal experience i've ever done :)

James.

PS : Try to go soon as the Lars External Dome is falling apart badly !

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: Admin (offline) on Sunday, January 03 2010 @ 11:32 AM PST  
Admin

Great pictures James. Thanks for posting them.

Forum Admin
Admin

Los Angeles, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: Krelman (offline) on Saturday, January 09 2010 @ 04:29 PM PST  
Krelman

I will be fling in from London and back out to Paris.

Thanks all for your suggestions so far - makes the journey seem less daunting. I am trying to go in May. I hope the homestead isn't completely in ruins!

Has anyone been very recently?

Forum Junior
Junior

Santa Monica, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: jamesFSO1 (offline) on Monday, January 11 2010 @ 06:31 AM PST  
jamesFSO1

I've been looking for pics since March last year to see how bad the lars homestead is.

You'd think the locals would up keep it in good conditions (it wouldn't take much) like the
Mos Espa set, but they don't.

I'd love to go again this year as there were a few places I didn't go too (like Ksar Hadada) but
i don't want it to spoil the amazing trip I had last year.

James.

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

By: Krelman (offline) on Monday, January 11 2010 @ 07:37 AM PST  
Krelman

How is the driving between locations - fairly straightforward? Did everyone get 4W drive rentals? How long is the longest distance between locations time-wise..?

I am dragging my partner along on this trip and want to make sure he is not totally bummed out by long day trips resulting in little to see. We are both into travel, so I imagine even if he is not the biggest STAR WARS fan, there will be plenty to see. Have any of you stayed in Djerba on the beach for a few days? (Is it worth it?)

Forum Junior
Junior

Santa Monica, CA

Profile Email Website  

By: jamesFSO1 (offline) on Monday, January 11 2010 @ 01:19 PM PST  
jamesFSO1

I guess it depends on where you are driving from ?

I drove from Monastir to Tozeur in about 6.5 - 7hrs, and i didn't get lost once...but you "do" need
a road map. You can get around without one (maybe) as the sign posting isn't that bad.

There is a good M/Way from Monastir to Gasfa, but there are some tricky roads in-between. Whatever
you do, don't drive about 1-2hrs after sunset as there are "no" street lights and even though i can
look after myself, even i wouldn't do it. So get a early start :)

I just had a ford fiesta and it was fine to be honest, didn't need a 4x4 unless you are going to The mos espa set in Nefja, but i'd suggest you get a guide to there and the lars homestead external :)

As for the partner, depends if it's male or female ? you've got to drive alot if you want to see all
the sights. I drove from Monastir-Tozeur-Matmatta-Mediadinne(sp)-Djerba-Monastir...and that's
some 1200 miles.....still, the scenery is excellent ! ... also if your partner is female she will get
alot of stares, but that's it. If your partner is male and your male...well you know it's a muslim
country right ? (im just saying) :)

Need to know anything else, just shout ! :)

James.

Forum Junior
Junior

Profile Email    

All times are PDT. The time is now 05:06 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Random Image

anh-024z