6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 39067 times)  
Can anyone tell me specifically where the filming locations for Endor were? I have heard the Redwoods but I don't know exactly where and which scenes were filmed. Help!!

Thanks,
Gary

I don't know exact locations, but the map on this site seems to be a good starting point.

"we're mild and green ... and squeaky clean."

Chatty

Yea, the World Map page on this site is a good place to start. You can also download the Google Earth file there if you want to see it that way. The locations should be pretty accurate. I was a little off at Crescent City when I visited, but someone else that successfully found the correct spot confirmed the marker I have on the map.

Here is an article that I wrote about my visit with more details.
Star Wars trek: Redwoods - June 2001

There was also an older forum post that has a few other details:
http://www.starwarslocations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=7&topic=7#7

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can or I'm sure someone else here will know.

Admin

So it looks like there are two primary locations for filming in the Redwoods?

1. Crescent City with the private land used by the lumber company

2. Further south in the National Park where the speeder bike scenes were filmed?

Are there are any others?

Gary

1. The location near Crescent City is on private land. You can walk in, but you have to go around a gate. It's probably best to try to get permission first. I don't have a contact for the current owner of the property, but it might still be worth trying if you're interested. I heard of someone recently finding a recognizable landmark here but haven't seen the pictures yet. The spot marked on the World Map should be pretty accurate to make it easier to find.

2. It's a state park but you're right, there were some very easy to find speeder bike scenes filmed at Owen R Cheatham Grove in Grizzly Creek Redwoods State Park. Dennis Muren also mentioned once that they shot some side view scenes from the back of a truck as they drove down the road in the Avenue of the Giants (these might be some of the blurry scenes of trees speeding by in the film).

3. Searching on the internet, there are lots of claims from other redwood areas saying that Return of the Jedi was filmed there but there isn't any evidence that I have found to show that they are any others that aren't mentioned above. It does make sense that they probably filmed in Marin County for the Ewok television movies to be closer to Skywalker Ranch and save on production costs so maybe that is were some of the confusion comes from. There are plenty of redwood forests along the Northern California coast and you can't help but imagine Endor while you are there.

Admin

I just found this site and plan on staying for a while Big Grin I bought the Tatooine guidebook, which is exactly what I've been looking for, nice work!

Anyways, I too have been trying to locate the exact Endor locations forever. Judging by your research, it appears you guys are dead-on. I've been to Jedidiah Smith SP & Valley of the Giants and both locations truly transport you to Endor. Now I want to go to Grizzly Creek and find the speeder bike spots! I'm guessing that the confusion over filming spots might be because the other rumored spots were all the other shots with the actors, while the main "bunker battle" area with the AT-ST was in the clearing on the private land.

I would really like to track down a lot of the locations from the Ewok movies as well. All I know is that the Endor forest scenes were shot at Roy's Redwoods Preserve near San Geronimo, CA.

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1