7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 63286 times)  
Hi.
I'm a huge star wars fan, as you can find out at www.steinninn.is/starwars and have visited Tunis and Italy.
Now I'm in Turkey and just found out that StarWars was filmed in Capadocia. And I'm despretly trying to find some information on what exactly was filmed there before I leave.
Do you know anyone that has been there before?
Do you have any screenshots for reference?
You can of course use my guide on my homepage on your site as much as you want.
Ok, that's all. Thanks in advance.
Eysteinn

Turkey isn't mentioned in the filming credits for any of the Star Wars movies. I see claims all over the internet that it was filmed there though but no reference pictures comparing a scene from the movie to any location in Turkey. Some of the cave dwellings and rock formations in Cappadocia do look a little similar to areas in Tunisia so I think the people making those claims are confused or just going off incorrect rumors they've heard.

The only thing I know of for sure is the quote below about ideas for the designs of the buildings in Naboo.

Naboo - "In addition to Venice, I referenced a lot of Moroccan buildings, as well as the Blue Mosque in Turkey, and began combining some of those ideas in unusual ways - like taking the domed roof from one building and putting it on another." - American Cinematographer Sept 1999

Hope this helps. Have fun on your trip.

Bill

Admin

There is a rumour that location scouts from The Star Wars Corporation looked into Cappadocia but decided against it when the Turkish government told them that the area was too unstable and civil war could break out at any moment. Most people think that SW was filmed in Turkey because of The Man Who Saved The World (aka Turkish Star Wars - http://imdb.com/title/tt0182060/).

Hope this helps.

Jeremy

My own opinion is that Turkish tour guides just spread the rumour to get more tourists to visit Cappadocia. The tourists see something resembling Star Wars / Tatooine and maybe one or two write in to IMDB to get it added as a location. The first time I visited Tunisia the tour guide went on endlessly about the various landscapes resembling The English Patient despite the fact they looked nothing like !

I don't see anything thats not in Tunisia or Death Valley. Hopefully the upcoming 'Making Of Star Wars' book might clear things up.

I wish IMDB took more care with their locations references !

Chatty

i've been to cappadocia, too. it really look like it has been used for star wars, but the lonely planet is lying about that fact.

but i found something inside the world heritage site - the open air museum of cappadocia: the main building was used in the original version of planet of the apes.

I came across an article talking about the claims of Star Wars being filmed in Cappadocia, but the conclusion seems to be that it was only rumors and false information passed down.

http://www.todayszaman.com/columnist-234259-stars-in-our-eyes.html

Admin

I, too, have heard Cappadocia mentioned in reference to STAR WARS - though I've never read or heard any claim that it was filmed there or even scouted. Instead, it's always been a tangential reference along the lines of "Matmata is a troglodite village similar to those found in Cappadocia."

"we're mild and green ... and squeaky clean."

Chatty
7 posts :: Page 1 of 1