33 posts :: Page 3 of 4
By: Likes:

James -

Thanks for all of the great information. We are renting a car that we will drive for most of the trip, but have been advised to get a guide/ driver to the sites near Tozeur/ Nefta once we get there.

Does that seem advisable?

Junior

Hi Krelman,
No driver / guide is required for Star Wars Canyon (Sidi Bouhlel) the road there is in a good state and the car park is now paved; clear directions are there on the web so there should be no trouble. Whilst at Sidi Bouhlel you may want to check out the nearby Indy locations.

I would not risk a rental car going to Mos Espa unless a) you knew the way or b) had a local guide in the passenger seat. If you get a driver + 4x4 for the day you can do all the sites out in the desert and spend as long in each as you like (Mos Espa, Homestead Ext, Dunes). Just ask the driver to take the quick route as sometimes they prefer to spend all day driving in soft sand and over dunes, and assuming you do too.

Chatty

Perfect Colin! Thanks for the great inside info.

Smile

Junior

Krelman,

As Colin has pointed out, it's best to get a driver for the Lars Homestead / Mos Espa. Your hotel
manager should be able to help. Your need it especially for the Lars Homestead External as
I have mentioned before there has been some trouble getting past the border guards, but with a
guide there should be no problems.

Obviously I want you to have a great experience so PLEASE make sure that you get to the Lars
Homestead 1 - 2 hrs before sunset, as you don't want to miss it. Plus, I had to walk over a mile
to get there as it had been raining a couple of days before and even the 4x4 couldn't get there, so
allow time, you would regret it !!!!!

O yeah, take PLENTY of camera batteries !!!!!! they can be hard to find out there !!! so don't forget
your charger and batteries Smile

JJ

Junior

Ahhh, I will keep that walking to the Homestead aspect in mind - good to know.

I am getting excited for the trip - and starting to put together a little dossier of reference photos and maps. (I guess I should try to study some French as well since I will be flying in from Paris after a few days there anyway.)

Thanks for all of your assistance everyone. I will be sure to post photos, etc. from my trip when I get back - and may also get some photos up from this book that I found (dated 1978) which has older reference shots of "Anchorhead" and potentially the Hotel Sidi Driss - though hard to tell on that one...

Junior

Hi Krelman,

I'll be in Tunisia May 22-29 with a bunch of 18 Star Wars fanatics!!!

I have a book called North African Villages by Norman F. Carver, Jr. and it contains a few pre-Star Wars photos of Anchorhead.

Chatty

Hi Colin,

I know about Mark's trip ~ I wish I could have joined, but it was booked solid back when I first heard about it/ inquired last fall. I will be in Tunisia from 5/18 - 5/26 actually, but I think I am going in the opposite direction of your caravan. Wink

I have the same book as you! In fact, I just uploaded some scans from the book into an album:
http://www.starwarslocations.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=253&page=1

Check it out!

Have a good week everyone.

Junior

Hi Krelman,

Thanks for posting the scans from the book. It looks like Mr. Carver beat us all to the filming locations in Tunisia.

I also saw your pics in the album titled "Across the Stars". I live in Burbank and can't believe I missed that. Do you live near here?

Bill

Admin

Hey Bill...

You should check out the HollywoodShow.com for more information about those Burbank shows - through they rarely have STAR WARS actors. The only person I met (and have no picture) was the woman who played "Romba" the Ewok in Return of the Jedi!

Yeah, I live in the Los Angeles area - in Santa Monica.

Smile

Junior

Hi Bill
Some of the Tunisia pics in Krelman's album aren't loading, but the thumbnails show just fine. Not sure if there is a problem on the server. I first learned about that book from Mitch about 5 years ago.

Krelman, it sounds like we may unknowingly cross tracks in Tunisia. Mark has had 3 people drop out the last 4 weeks and was struggling to fill the last place, though he has now. I think he went through his reserves list pretty quickly.

Chatty
33 posts :: Page 3 of 4