5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 7078 times)  
Hi,

Im off to Tunisia (lone traveller) in 2 weeks time. I've been before to Matmatta and Jerba but not
at the other locations.

I keep hearing stories about the Lars Homestead External being out of bounds but really need
confirmation on this and if so, how do I go about getting around it (as I just need to visit the set).
ie : if I book a guide will the police then relax and let me go through ???

As far as I know all the other locations are pretty ok to get to and not a problem, however I have
a couple of questions.

1> Can you just turn up at the Matmatta hotel and stay (I wouldn't have thought it would be fully
booked in March!?

2> Alot of the locations are near tozeur. I will be driving, but how do I get a GPS ? will the rental
company hire me one ?

3> Does anyone know a good site with all the GPS Codes. I have Mark Demuals book as a guide
but want to be 100% that I get all the GPS codes before I go.

ANY other help would be really appreciated, I can't wait to go.

Still if there is anyone else who has nothing to do on the 18th March and is landing in Monasir and
wants to join me, just let me know ! Smile

JJ

Junior

Hi JJ,

Sounds great and I wish I was going, but I'm off to Finse, Norway tomorrow to celebrate ESB filming 30 years ago.

1> Can you just turn up at the Matmatta hotel and stay (I wouldn't have thought it would be fully booked in March!?
A: Yes you can just turn up (even at 11PM like I did once) and still get a room. They have plenty of rooms, and there are plenty of nearby hotels in the unlikely event they are full. Just be prepared to have tourists walking around you as you eat breakfast, though it is the low season now.

2> Alot of the locations are near tozeur. I will be driving, but how do I get a GPS ? will the rental company hire me one ?
A: Tunisia has only just got itself a GPS system (http://www.weenee.info/) for sale, and last year it only had the major cities mapped. Not sure if it would be an optional extra. You can get a GARMIN map of Tunisia at http://gps.4x4travel.org/.
A road map and a hand-held GPS will work fine.

3> Does anyone know a good site with all the GPS Codes. I have Mark Demuals book as a guide but want to be 100% that I get all the GPS codes before I go.
A: It's here of course !!! http://www.starwarslocations.com/article.php?story=20070608033236502

Bon Voyage
Colin.

Chatty

If a guide can't get you past security at the ext. homestead, then it should be possible to drive directly from the Nefta oasis across the chott to the homestead, bypassing the tarmac road (and security) altogether. Best in a 4x4.
Read the Tunisia report at www.hoylen.com/articles for more advice and GPS.

Chatty

Chatty

next trip .....please - I'd love to see the Homestead. I've been to the Lake Retreat and want to return there, too. Lake Com {sigh}

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1